Wednesday, 27 Oct 2021

Over 300 officers continued to serve after Met Police dropped their domestic abuse cases

Naga Munchetty slams safety advice given by Metropolitan Police

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The Metro.co.uk reports statistics released by the Metropolitan Police show 361 complaints were made against 326 officers and specials between 2017 and 2020. The paper claims the data, which had been obtained through a Freedom of Information Request, showed the most common outcome was “no action” – which was the final result of 265 of the allegations.

The Metro.co.uk added only in six cases the accused officer opted to retire or resign.

The Metropolitan Police took formal action on just 19 occasions and the capital’s constabulary used so-called “management action” 14 times.

Of those who underwent formal action between 2017 and 2020, five are reported to have been dismissed without notice, two avoided dismissal by leaving the Met and five received final written warnings.

Four cases were found to be unproven, two incidents were categorised as “would have been dismissed” but with no further information provided and no action was taken on just one occasion.

The Metro.co.uk adds male officers represented 85 percent of all accusations made

JUST IN: ‘You think you’ve heard it all!’ Police find shark-infested swimming pool at a Sussex flat

The report comes after the serving police officers Wayne Couzens, 48, was sentenced to a whole life sentence for the kidnap, rape and murder of 33-year-old Sarah Everard.

Earlier this month, Boris Johnson told The Times the public was right to feel the police were failing women and girls who have been subjected to violence and sexual abuse.

The Prime Minister said: “But there’s another problem, which is partly caused by the failure of the criminal justice system to dispose of these [cases].

“Are the police taking this issue seriously enough? It’s infuriating. I think the public feel that they aren’t and they’re not wrong.”

Mr Johnson added: “Do I fundamentally believe the police are on our side?

“Yes, absolutely they are.

“Can you trust the police?

“Yes, you can.

“But there is an issue about how we handle sexual violence, domestic violence, the sensitivity, the diligence, the time, the delay, the confusion about your mobile phone.

“That’s the thing we need to fix.”

DON’T MISS:
Brexit LIVE: Lord Frost can bypass Article 16 [LIVE]
Oh dear, Nicola! Key ally Ian Blackford’s Westminster seat at risk in brutal Tory reform [REVEALED]
Anti-vaxxer reports Covid jab to police as ‘attempted murder’ [INSIGHT]

Baroness Casey of Blackstock has since been appointed to head an independent review into the Met’s “culture and standards”.

Another inquiry will look into the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command – the unit Couzens was employed as an armed officer.

A third investigation has been announced by Home Secretary Priti Patel, which will look into the “systematic failures” that allowed Couzens to serve as a police officer when he murdered Ms Everard.

Following Metro.co.uk’s report, the Express.co.uk has approached the Metropolitan Police for further comment.

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts