Wednesday, 21 Oct 2020

Local lockdown fears for Leicester after coronavirus infection spike

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The East Midlands city saw an extra 658 cases in the fortnight leading up to June 16. Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock is said to be reviewing legislation and daily reports from the city. Sources told the Sunday Times he is “quite worried” and considering “all options”.

 

There are reports the R number has risen above one but at this stage they are still unconfirmed.

A decision is unlikely to be made until the middle of next week.

A source explained: “So far local action has been taken to lock down individual hospitals and GP surgeries where there has been an outbreak but this situation is more serious than that, although no decision has yet been taken.”

Andrew Bridgen, the Conservative MP for North West Leicestershire, said: “Unfortunately the fact that the Government is having to contemplate specific measures to control the spread of the virus in Leicester is now unavoidable in order to protect the rest of the country.”

More to follow… 

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts