Monday, 23 Nov 2020

Greater Manchester tier 3 MAPPED: The 10 boroughs of Manchester going into lockdown

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Greater Manchester’s 2.8million residents have been upgraded into a tier three lockdown this afternoon as the Prime Minister announced the new restrictions in response to rising cases in the area. Talks between local leaders in Greater Manchester, including mayor Andy Burnham, and the Government failed to reach an adequate conclusion regarding financial aid in the area this afternoon, according to Housing and Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick. 

Mr Burnham accused the Government of walking out on talks for a financial bailout for the city. 

The mayor slammed ministers for failing to provide £65million, the minimum sum needed to prevent a “winter of hardship”, which would plunge people unable to work into further poverty. 

Mr Burnham said local leaders had already greatly reduced their original demand of £90million for stricken businesses and to top up furlough payments. 

The Government offered a maximum of £60million, despite Greater Manchester’s compromise. 

All ten boroughs of Greater Manchester will be entering the new restrictions.

These are: 

  • Bolton
  • Bury
  • Oldham
  • Rochdale
  • Stockpport
  • Tameside
  • Trafford
  • Wigan
  • Manchester 
  • Salford

The Prime Minister said the new restrictions would kick in in Manchester on Friday, October 24. 

The move will see pubs and bars forced to close their doors once again. 

Restaurants and “food bases” pubs will remain open, and alcohol can continue to be served alongside a “substantial meal”. 

Mr Johnson also announced that Greater Manchester will receive £22million in extra funding. 

DON’T MISS
Andy Burnham blasted by ITV GMB hosts over risk of fuelling revolt  [INSIGHT]
Burnham admits Manchester will back down if Boris orders tier lockdown [ANALYSIS]
Manchester lockdown: Burnham warns ALL areas to see Tier 3 in winter [REPORT]

The Prime Minister confirmed that Mr Burnham didn’t accept the offer put towards his local authority, and that the Government was left with no choice but to proceed with the measures. 

He said failing to do so would put too many lives at risk and overwhelm Manchester’s NHS. 

Mr Johnson told the Downing Street press briefing: “I bitterly regret any restrictions that lead to damage to business and people’s lives. 

“Nobody wants to put people in Greater Manchester through the experience they have been through.

Mr Johnson agreed with Mr Burnham’s stance, and clarified the £22million would be in addition of any existing support promised to Manchester. 

He said: “Andy Burnham is right in what he says about the length of endurance Greater Manchester has shown. The £22million, that is additional to other support. 

“This is a Government that has put £190billion already into supporting businesses and jobs across the country, we are investing huge sums of money to support local authorities and another £1billion. 

“Greater Manchester will have access to all kinds of funds.”

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts