Pup who had been feeling unwell had 25 balls in stomach and survived
A pup found himself feeling rough after eating 25 golf balls.
The Giant Schnauzer’s owner, Neil Taylor, let his dog Alfie off his lead to roam around a golf course.
Out of sight, Alfie tucked into a treat of lost golf balls, along with a ball of string, rubber gloves and bits of wood.
His secret was only discovered when he collapsed at home after vomiting up four of the balls, and Neil, of Westerhope, Newcastle, contacted the local vets for help.
Blythman and Partners Veterinary Practice owner Graham Chambers said: “It was clear that Alfie had eaten something that disagreed with him.
“But we were initially unaware of the scale of the problem.
“Our branches are all fully equipped with diagnostic imaging equipment, meaning we could quickly get to the heart – or stomach – of the issue.
“We were amazed to see his stomach was full of golf balls – 15 to be precise – and so surgery was the only option.
“However, when we opened him up for the operation, we had another shock in store – we found another six hiding in his tummy, bringing the total up to 25.”
Fat abandoned cat put on diet and fitness regime to shift 'quarantine flab'
After the operation Alfie was taken care of by nursing staff before being allowed home two days later.
Neil said: “I only have one dog and he’s like my son. It was a huge relief when we were given the all- clear by the vets.
“I can’t thank Blythman and Partners enough – we were able to get Alfie seen as soon as he fell ill, which I’m sure played a major part in his recovery.
Dog found 'frantically barking' after being dumped with rubbish along busy A-road
“It’s lovely to have him acting like his normal, playful self again.
“We are currently in the middle of an insurance claim, and there is a likelihood we aren’t covered for an incident like this.
“The vet bills are about £2,500, which we may now have to pay, but I’m not too bothered.
“If it means I get to keep my dog then I’m still a happy man.”
Source: Read Full Article