Monday, 18 Jan 2021

Brother of man who disarmed terrorist says family can reunite

‘It’ll be a day to remember’: Brother of jailed murderer who disarmed London Bridge terrorist while on day release shares Facebook post saying his family can ‘finally reunite after 17 years’ when he is released in June

  • Steven Gallant, 42, was on day release when he stopped Usman Khan’s rampage 
  • He used narwhal tusk to take down and restrain terrorist on November 29, 2019   
  • It was Gallant’s first time out on licence after he was jailed for murder in 2005 
  • Royal Prerogative of Mercy will bring case before parole board 10 months early 
  • His brother Jason said he would be reunited with his brother after 17 years 

The brother of a convicted murderer who helped thwart the terror attack on London Bridge last year has said he will finally be able to reunite with his sibling after 17 years.  

Steven Gallant, 42, was on day release at the Learning Together rehabilitation project event at Fishmongers’ Hall, London, when he stopped Usman Khan’s rampage with a narwhal tusk after the terrorist embarked on a killing spree armed with two knives. 

It was Gallant’s first time out on licence after he was jailed for life with a minimum term of 17 years for the murder of firefighter Barrie Jackson in Hull in 2005.

During the attack last year, Gallant was pictured on the bridge confronting Khan, who was also wearing a fake suicide vest, with the whale trophy, slowing him down and preventing him from killing anyone else until police arrived and shot him dead.   

In an emotional post, Gallant’s brother Jason said he could ‘finally reunite’ with his sibling next June after 17 years.

Convicted murderer Steven Gallant (pictured left with Jack Merritt who died in the London Bridge attack), 42, was on day release when he stopped Usman Khan’s rampage with a narwhal tusk 

Gallant’s brother Jason took to social media to say his three brothers would ‘finally reunite’  after 17 years

He said: ‘It’ll be a day to remember next June when my three brothers and I can finally reunite after 17 years!’  

Meanwhile their sister Cassie also broke her silence on the eve of the terror attack’s first anniversary, saying: ‘Steve’s been on a long journey and we are very proud of him.

‘He knows more than anyone why he went to prison, but he has used his time to overcome his problems and improve himself. The Royal Prerogative of Mercy he received proves this.’   

It comes after the Ministry of Justice revealed that the Queen had employed the little used ‘Royal Prerogative of Mercy’ to bring Gallant’s case before the parole board 10 months early. 

The monarch used the power on the advice of Lord Chancellor Robert Buckland. 

A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said last month: ‘The Lord Chancellor has granted Steven Gallant a Royal Prerogative of Mercy reducing his minimum tariff of 10 months in recognition of his exceptionally brave actions at Fishmongers’ Hall, which helped save people’s lives despite the tremendous risk to his own.’ 

The final decision ultimately rests with the parole board, but it is highly unlikely Gallant will be denied his freedom.

Last year Gallant risked his life to take on knife-wielding jihadi Usman Khan with just a narwhal tusk. 

Cambridge graduates Jack Merritt, 25, and 23-year-old Saskia Jones – both part of the Learning Together scheme to help prisoners access education – were killed, while several others were wounded. 

Gallant had been attending the Learning Together rehabilitation project event at Fishmongers’ Hall, London, when he stopped Khan’s rampage (above) with a narwhal tusk

Cambridge graduates Jack Merritt, 25, (left) and Saskia Jones, 23, (right) were killed in the attack last year

Harrowing footage showed Gallant, wearing a purple top with the sleeves rolled up, and two other men, running on to the bridge after Khan and tackling him to the ground.

Using a chair and narwhal tusk handed to him by civil servant Darryn Frost, who also risked his life to take on the attacker, Gallant tried to hold Khan back. 

Reformed prisoner John Crilly, 48, was also among those who fought the London Bridge terrorist – in his case, with a fire extinguisher.

He initially attacked Khan with a lectern before grabbing a fire extinguisher off the wall and spraying foam at the fake suicide vest Khan was wearing.    

Usman Khan, 28, had been invited to the event while out on licence when he carried out the attack which killed two people

In a statement issued through his lawyers, Gallant later said: ‘I could tell something was wrong and had to help. I saw injured people.

‘Khan was stood in the foyer with two large knives in his hands.

‘He was a clear danger to all, so I didn’t hesitate.’ 

Khan 28, a convicted terrorist had been invited to the event while out on licence, after he was jailed in 2012 for a plot to bomb the London stock exchange.

Armed with two knives, he killed Gallant’s ‘role model and friend’ Mr Merritt and Ms Jones. 

Gallant was one of two men convicted for the murder of 33-year-old firefighter Barrie Jackson who was killed outside a pub in Hull in April 2005.   

The pair lay in wait for Mr Jackson outside the Dolphin after believing he attacked Gallant’s girlfriend.

He is thought to have been hit with a hammer, kicked and punched to death, according to a 2008 Court of Appeal judgment.

During his time in prison, Gallant has participated in a number of interventions, including addressing previous substance abuse, and is in the process of studying for a business degree. 

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts