Friday, 21 Jun 2024

Terror probe as pensioner is stabbed to death moments after using cash point

A Moroccan national has been remanded in custody after appearing in court over the murder of a 70-year-old man in Hartlepool.

Terrence Carney had just used a cash machine when he was attacked in the town centre on Sunday morning.

Ahmed Alid, 44, from the north-east seaside town, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London today via video link from a police station in Middlesbrough, charged with the murder of Mr Carney and the attempted murder of Javed Nouri.

Prosecutors told the court Alid had allegedly been fighting with housemate Mr Nouri at around 5.15am on Wharton Terrace before stabbing him multiple times in the chest, legs and mouth.

He is then accused of going to Tees Street, half a mile away, where he allegedly fatally stabbed Mr Carney in the chest and neck.

Alid did not enter any pleas and was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on Thursday.

He was charged on Monday, following an investigation by Counter-Terrorism Policing North East and Cleveland Police.

Officers were been called to a property on Wharton Terrace at about 5.17am on Sunday, where they found a man who had been attacked. He suffered non life-threatening injuries and remains in hospital.

Don’t miss… Landlord who allegedly stabbed boy was paranoid about ‘day of jihad'[INSIGHT]

Shortly after, officers found Mr Carney seriously injured in Tees Street, half a mile away, and he died at the scene despite the efforts of the emergency services.

Two bunches of flowers had been left as a tribute outside a property on Wharton Terrace where police and forensics officers carried out enquiries.

Detective Chief Superintendent James Dunkerley, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North East, said on Monday night: “This evening’s charges follow a thorough investigation by Counter Terrorism Policing North East and Cleveland Police.

“We are satisfied that this was an isolated incident and are not seeking anyone else in connection with this matter.

“We are grateful for the support and understanding of the local community during this investigation, which has caused understandable concern among local people.

“We will continue to work closely with Cleveland Police colleagues to reassure those affected and keep them informed.”

Deputy Chief Constable Victoria Fuller, from Cleveland Police, said: “I am extremely proud of the bravery of the attending officers, that enabled the incident to be dealt with swiftly.

“We would also like to add our thanks to the local community for their support during this investigation.

“Our thoughts remain with the family of Mr Carney, and the second man involved in Sunday’s incident.”

Investigations are centred on a house believed to be shared by four asylum seekers, according to Teeside Live.

One unnamed woman said: “There is one guy whose behaviour was really strange and the mothers in the street started warning each other about him. He was constantly walking up and down and appeared to be staring at children, so we just made sure everyone knew to keep an eye on their kids.

“If he saw one of us watching him he would turn away and go in the other direction or pretend to be picking something up off the floor. No one came to any harm but we were very uneasy about him.”

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts