Prince Harry makes ‘dig at Charles during clip of Diana’s funeral’ in mental health series
Queen and Charles 'couldn't respond to Harry digs' says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The Duke of Sussex hinted at the trauma he suffered as a child in a teaser for his latest post-Megxit project which will hit screens on Friday. The footage flashed between the Queen’s grandson chatting to Oprah and a dated clip of him looking on as Princess Diana’s casket is carried away. Writing in the Daily Express, royal journalist Phil Dampier said this particular segment was Harry’s way of making a “dig at Charles”.
The Duke has in the past spoken out about his experience of walking behind his mother’s coffin.
In a 2017 interview with Newsweek, he said: “No child should be asked to do that.”
Mr Dampier, who has covered the royals for 26 years, suggested Harry’s voiceover about “treating people with dignity” as the clip was played suggested it may have been a veiled dig at his father.
Mr Dampier wrote: “The film uses a clip from Princess Diana’s funeral showing Harry walking behind her coffin as his father speaks to him, with a voiceover saying ‘treating people with dignity is the first act’.
“That is a dig at Charles, but I recall one interview during the 20th anniversary of Diana’s death when Harry said he was glad he walked behind her coffin.”
But shortly after his comments to Newsweek, Harry rolled back on criticism of how the Royal Family handled the tragedy in the summer of 1997.
Commemorating the 20th anniversary of the tragic death of the Princess of Wales, Harry told the BBC he didn’t “have an opinion whether that was right or wrong”, but “looking back on it”, he is glad to have been part of the sombre procession.
He also praised Charles for comforting him and Prince William as they dealt with the loss of their mother.
He explained “One of the hardest things for a parent to have to do is to tell your children that your other parent has died.
“How you deal with that I don’t know but, you know, he was there for us.”
Those comments were made in 2017 – a year before he married Meghan Markle.
Following his wedding to the former actress, Harry’s relationship with multiple members of his family deteriorated.
Prince Harry fired royal digs aware Queen would be unable to comeback [EXPLAINED]
Prince Harry warned supporters are ‘losing patience’ [WARNING]
Sussexes unlikely to fly baby daughter back to UK to meet Queen [INSIGHT]
The extent of the rift was laid bare earlier this month when Harry told Oprah his father stopped answering his calls after he and Meghan moved across the pond after quitting royal life.
He also claimed his family severed financial support and security for him, his wife and their son Archie.
Since moving to the US, the couple have signed up for ambitious projects as they settle into their new life in California and are showing no signs of looking back.
Months after they signed their Megxit deal with the Queen last year, they announced multi-million dollar agreements with Netflix and Spotify.
Harry and Oprah are executive producers of the documentary “The Me You Can’t See” which will be broadcast on Apple TV+
Each episode will feature celebrities talking frankly about their mental health struggles as well as stark admissions from Harry and Oprah about their own journeys.
Today the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are celebrating their third wedding anniversary.
To mark the occasion, they announced a charitable project to build a community relief centre in Covid-stricken India.
Their Archewell Foundation, in partnership with World Central Kitchen, will set up the centre in Mumbai, in response to the country’s devastating second wave of coronavirus.
A statement on the Archewell website said the purpose was “to provide relief and resilience (as well as healing and strength)” for the communities.
It will be the third in a series of four relief centres for the foundation and World Central Kitchen, following projects in Dominica and Puerto Rico.
Source: Read Full Article