Lightning bolt obliterates couple's roof moments after they leave the house
A couple could have died after video footage captured the moment a 300 million volt lightning strike shot down and hit their roof.
It happened in Chalgrave, in Oxfordshire, and the lucky couple left the house just four minutes before the strike destroyed their roof, blew up their boiler and fried the electrics.
The chimney was blasted off the roof and the lightning strike was so powerful it damaged nearby cars.
It was captured on a nearby Ring doorbell and one of the homeowners, who didn’t want to be named, said: ‘We made a lucky escape. I can’t imagine what would have happened to us if we’d have still been inside. We’re both still in shock.
‘The damage is massive; there are three large holes in the roof, and structural damage around the door frames.
‘We’re not sure when the gas and electricity can be reconnected because the damage is so extensive.
‘We probably have to move out and it could be weeks. Even our neighbour had damage to electrical equipment and the boiler from the same strike. Bricks from the chimney also fell on our car.
‘It’s really hard to believe. All our friends find it hard to believe. Even the home insurance were asking if we’re sure because it’s so rare.
‘The community are very caring and have really helped us.’
The fire brigade were called and neighbours rallied around to clear up the street and telephoned the couple to inform them of the strike.
Jessica heard the strike from her home opposite.
She said: ‘There was a huge bang and flash. We’d heard the thunder and not thought too much of it.
‘But the bang was so loud I thought something might have been hit so went to look.
‘It was scary: you just don’t think it will happen.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article