Boris warns he can't guarantee end of lockdown by June 21 but he's 'optimistic'
Boris Johnson has said he is ‘very optimistic’ that the June 21 target for easing all lockdown restrictions will be met.
Asked during a visit to a school whether he thinks the date in four months time is realistic, he told reporters: ‘I’m very optimistic that we’ll be able to get there.’
Yesterday the PM outlined his roadmap out of lockdown, sparking hope that the crisis could finally be over by the summer.
But ministers have consistently warned that progress will be stopped if the four tests set out for relaxing restrictions are not met.
Speaking at a school in south London, Mr Johnson said: ‘I’m hopeful but obviously nothing can be guaranteed and it all depends on the way we continue to be prudent and continue to follow the guidance in each stage.
‘Genuinely because of the immense possibilities of the rollout, because science has given us this way of creating a shield around our population, we can really look at that June 21 date with some optimism.
‘I think that’s how I would put it. I’m very optimistic that we’ll be able to get there.’
This is a breaking news story – more to follow
Boris Johnson’s roadmap out of lockdown
Boris Johnson has laid out his plans to lift Covid-19 restrictions in England, following weeks of lockdown which began on January 4.
The Prime Minister confirmed that the route back to normality will depend upon four tests for easing restrictions and will take into account the success of the vaccine rollout.
- Boris Johnson unveils four-step plan out of lockdown
- All schools in England to return from March 8
- Outdoor sports to return next month as lockdown eases
- Hairdressers, barbers and salons to stay shut until April 12 at the earliest
- Families to reunite indoors from May as two households can mix
- Pub beer gardens to open from April 12 and Scotch egg rule won’t return
- Restaurants and drinking inside pubs to return from May
- Work from home orders to continue until late June at earliest
- UK staycations to return from April at earliest, Boris confirms
- Gyms to reopen from April for people exercising alone or with their household
Source: Read Full Article