Monday, 3 Oct 2022

Fourteen residents infected as another COVID outbreak hits St Basil’s

St Basil’s Homes for the Aged is grappling with another outbreak of COVID-19 almost two years after 45 residents died after contracting the virus.

The embattled aged care home in Fawkner was charged on Monday with failing to provide a safe working environment for its staff and others in 2020.

45 people died and more than 200 staff and residents got infected when COVID hit St Basil’s aged care home in Fawkner. Credit:Justin McManus

On Tuesday, the federal Department of Health and Aged Care confirmed 14 residents and one staff member had recently tested positive to coronavirus.

“St Basil’s Home for the Aged is currently experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak and is being provided with a range of Commonwealth supports including onsite infection prevention and control,” a spokeswoman said.

They said the current outbreak was declared on July 2.

A former employee, who asked not to be named, told The Age there were concerns about the levels of PPE at the facility.

When asked about potential supply issues, the Health Department spokeswoman said additional PPE could be requested from the National Medical Stockpile if current supplies were exhausted or commercial suppliers unavailable.

They noted the Department of Health and Aged Care provided all residential aged care facilities with a supply of PPE in preparation for winter.

Forty-five residents of the Fawkner facility died from coronavirus in 2020, with the Coroners Court hearing last year that another five residents also perished, probably from neglect.

During that outbreak, 94 residents and 94 staff tested positive.

More to come.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts