‘Catastrophic flooding’ fears as Russia strikes dam
Biden at UN: Ukraine war 'should make blood your run cold'
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Russian forces carried out a series of missile attacks on a dam, creating a flooding threat. The Pechenizkiy dam was damaged, creating a threat of flooding for settlements in Kharkiv Oblast, the head of Pechenizkiy municipality, Oleksandr Husarov, wrote on Telegram.
In the message from Mr Husarov on Wednesday, he said: “There is a possible threat of the destruction of the dam of the Pechenizkiy hydroelectric complex by the enemy.
“An emergency situation may arise as a result of catastrophic flooding of the area downstream.”
Officials then urged local residents to listen for alerts and follow instructions from the authorities: If an alert is declared, people are to take only essential items and evacuate the area.
Earlier in September, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reported invading Russian forces had unsuccessfully tried to destroy the dam of the Pechenizkiy reservoir.
On September 14 Russian troops carried out a missile attack on a dam in Kryvyi Rih, Dnipropetrovsk Oblast.
A total of eight missiles reported hit the dam, with Dnipropetrovsk Governor Valentin Reznichenko saying there had been no casualties as a result of the attack on the dam, but that several structures had been seriously damaged and several districts of the city were left without water.
The dam in Kryvyi Rih stands at the head of the Karachuniv Reservoir, a 305 million cubic meter body of water that stores drinking water supplies for the surrounding region.
According to experts, a serious breach of the dam would have the potential to flood central Kryvyi Rih.
Meanwhile, Yuriy Sak, adviser to Ukraine’s defence minister, told Fox News Digital that Kyiv is braced for severe retaliation from Russia.
He said: “We need to keep the pressure on them. If we allow them time to recuperate, if we allow them time to rebuild their capacity, then it will be more possible for them to strike back.
“We need to keep the momentum, and we need to keep going.”
Speaking about Ukraine’s successful counter-attack in Kharkiv, Mr Sak added: “This was a mission that for a good reason was kept secret for a long time.
“The outcome of this counteroffensive actually exceeded even our own expectations.”
‘Putin’s lies’: Keegan calls for calm after ‘concerning’ threats
Housing buys at ‘screeching halt’ ahead of interest rate hike
Charles urged to award ‘devoted’ Anne special honour – YOUR VERDICT
It comes after Vladimir Putin announced a partial mobilisation of Russians to the war in Ukraine.
The Russian leader ordered the immediate call-up of 300,000 reservists in an early-morning television address.
Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said the call-up would be limited to those with experience as professional soldiers, and that students and conscripts would not be called up.
Putin also threatened nuclear retaliation, saying that Russia had “lots of weapons to reply” to what he called western threats on Russian territory and added that he was not bluffing.
In response, at the UN General Assembly on Wednesday, US President Joe Biden said: “A permanent member of the United Nations Security Council invaded its neighbour, attempted to erase a sovereign state from the map.
“Russia has shamelessly violated the core tenets of the United Nations Charter.”
The President then added: “This war is about extinguishing Ukraine’s right to exist as a state, plain and simple, and Ukraine’s right to exist as a people.
“Wherever you are, wherever you live, whatever you believe, that should make your blood run cold.
“Because if nations can pursue their imperial ambitions without consequences, then we put at risk everything this very institution stands for.”
Source: Read Full Article