Wednesday, 27 Oct 2021

Boy died hours after ‘licking his dinner plate clean’ at nan’s on Christmas Day

A 12-year-old boy tragically died hours after licking his Christmas dinner plate clean at his grandparents' house, an inquest has heard.

Cason Hallwood, who suffered with a nut allergy and from asthma, began to have trouble breathing at the park shortly after finishing his dinner at his grandparents' with his family, Liverpool Echo reports.

An inquest into the youngster's death heard that his grandfather Albert, who cooked the meal, had 'completely forgotten' about his grandson's allergy – feeding him a glaze that contained nuts.

His mother Louise ran to the park where he was playing to administer an EpiPen, but despite the best efforts of paramedics and doctors, the boy tragically died after going into respiratory and then cardiac arrest.

Giving evidence at the inquest, held at Parr Hall in Warrington on Monday (October 11), Louise gave her gut-wrenching account of what happened that day.

It was told that Cason 'licked his plate clean' after they sat down for a family dinner at around 2.25pm.

Just an hour later Louise received a phone call that Cason was having an allergic reaction at the park.

  • Abused wife knifed husband to death and told 999 'he deserves everything he got'

She said: "I could tell straight away that he'd had something because his eyes were all puffy. The EpiPen I had on me was out of date.

"The one at my house was in date but the one at my mum and dad’s wasn’t."

While the ordeal was happening down the road, Cason's granddad Albert reportedly came to the horrifying realisation that he had served his grandson nuts.

In a statement from Albert read by senior coroner for Cheshire Alan Moore, the heartbroken granddad said: "I told my wife that the glaze had nuts in it.

Keep up to date with all the latest news stories. by signing up for one of Daily Star's free newsletters here.

"My heart sank as I realised this and I was just worried for Cason. As a family we are completely heartbroken. Life will never be the same again."

The family are now questioning the length of time it took paramedics to get to the scene.

The 999 call was reportedly received at 3.18pm with the ambulance arriving at the park at 3.33pm.

Alan Jeeves, a paramedic with North West Ambulance Service, said: "We were on route when the satnav leading us put is in a position where it wasn't the right entrance to the park."

A post-mortem concluded that Cason died as a result of anaphylactic fatal asthma which was caused by peanut ingestion, with bilateral pneumothorax (collapsed lungs) as a contributing factor.

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts