Wednesday, 27 Oct 2021

Teenager, 13, accidentally sparks Battersea tower block fire and evacuation after deodorant hits candle and 'explodes'

A SCHOOLBOY accidentally sparked a huge blaze at a London tower block last night after his deodorant wafted into a candle.

Residents of the flats in Battersea were evacuated and a woman and child were rushed to hospital after 70 firefighters were called to the inferno yesterday.


It's now emerged that the fire broke out when a 13-year-old boy unwittingly triggered an "explosion" that destroyed his family's home as he put on body spray.

Atrin Behazadi's mum said the lad was "spraying himself" when the jet "hit a tea light candle".

The resulting blast shattered the windows and blew the living room door off its hinges.

Atrin was seriously burned in the horror, suffering injuries to his stomach and arms.

Meanwhile, dozens of families were led out of the block in Westbridge Road after the alert was raised at 8pm.

It's claimed there was no sound of an alarm – and residents say they were unable to find fire extinguishers.

Dramatic video showing flames bursting through windows was posted on social media.

Atrin's mum Sarah, 43, who works as a dental technician, said: "I went to do a quick shop when my daughter Atis called me and said, 'Mum, something exploded'.

"My son was spraying himself with deodorant in his room and it hit a tea light candle.

"Suddenly both windows exploded and the door was blown off its hinges – it was broken in half."

Sarah spoke of her pride in Atis, who called 999, and said: "She's saved so many lives."

Atis, 15, said: "I was in my room and suddenly the door burst open.

TEEN GIRL 'SAVED LIVES'

"I saw a bright light and heard my brother scream.

"I was paralysed for a few seconds, but then he burst into my room. He said his body was burning and we needed to get out."

Haji Safiya Mayow, 53, a housewife who lives on the 19th floor, said she put a jacket over her pyjamas and rushed downstairs when he son told her of the fire.

"There was smoke everywhere. It was difficult to breathe," she said.

"I have asthma and I was running down the stairs – all 20 flights. I was shocked and scared, and my legs were hurting.

"I just wanted to save my life."

'NO FIRE ALARMS'

She said she heard no alarms – and emerged into the street to find "hot ashes and bits of glass falling from the sky".

Her son Omar El-Darous Abdi, 30, bravely stayed behind to help an 86-year-old neighbour in a wheelchair.

He blasted: "No extinguishers, no alarms, no fire exits or signs anywhere."

Fire station commander Pete Johnson said: "Crews were faced with a lot of smoke issuing from the top of a block of flats on arrival.

"There was also lots of visible flame which has prompted a high number of calls to our control officers.

"Firefighters worked quickly to bring the fire under control."


We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?

Email us at [email protected] or call 02077824104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours

Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.

    Source: Read Full Article

    Related Posts