Thursday, 3 Dec 2020

Royal Family LIVE: Queen watching closely as ‘rift’ with Meghan Markle and Harry ‘widens’

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Royal author Katie Nicholl warned the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s Remembrance Sunday photoshoot in Los Angeles, while the Royal Family attended the service at the Cenotaph, will not help relations. Meghan and Harry were accused of a publicity stunt after pictures taken by celebrity and fashion photographer Lee Morgan were released from the visit.

Ms Nicholl told OK! Magazine: “There is such a gaping cavern now and exercises like this only serve to widen that gap rather than heal the rift.

“I think the feeling is that if Harry and Meghan continue to behave in this way, there’s going to be a question mark over their future roles in the monarchy.

“Harry and Meghan do things very differently to the royal family and to me it shows how determined they are to do things their own way whatever the cost.”

Harry, who has quit royal duties and moved to California with former actress Meghan, was reportedly left saddened when he was denied his request for a wreath to be laid on his behalf at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

It comes as Prince Harry spoke publicly of how he “committed to a life of service” during his time in the military.

In a recorded message for the virtual Stand Up For Heroes event in the US, Harry said: “(My military) experience changed my life forever and for the better.

“It changed how I viewed sacrifice and service. I was born into a life of duty, but it was during my decade in the army that I committed to a life of service.”

He added: “As far as I see it, service is what happens in the quiet and in the chaos.

“It’s what happens when people aren’t looking and it’s about how we take care of each other every single day.”

FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES:

7.35am update: Prince William says probe into Diana’s Panorama interview ‘should help establish truth’

Prince William has said an investigation into the BBC’s Panorama interview with his mother Princess Diana “should help establish the truth behind the actions” that led to the bombshell programme.

William said the independent probe into Martin Bashir’s television appearance with Diana in 1995, which saw her sensationally say there were “three of us” in her marriage to Prince Charles, was a “step in the right direction”.

The BBC has appointed Lord Dyson, former Master of the Rolls, to lead the investigation, which will begin straight away to look into what steps the broadcaster and Bashir took to secure the interview.

William said: “The independent investigation is a step in the right direction.

“It should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time.”

The investigation comes after allegations by Diana’s brother Earl Spencer that he was shown “false bank statements” by Bashir to help him gain access to her.

7.30am update: Harry says ‘military me who I am’

Prince Harry has said his decade in the Army made him who he is today.

The Duke of Sussex, who quit royal duties earlier this year for a new life in California with Meghan Markle, made the comments as he delivered a recorded message for the virtual Stand Up For Heroes event in the US.

Harry said: “(My military) experience changed my life forever and for the better.

“It changed how I viewed sacrifice and service. I was born into a life of duty, but it was during my decade in the army that I committed to a life of service.”

He added that he would always be part of the military team.

Harry said: “My experience in the military made me who I am today – and it also connected me with some of the strongest, funniest and most memorable people I’ve ever met.

“Once we join this team, we are always part of this team. Once we’ve served, we are always serving, and proudly so.”

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts