Queen could miss meeting Lilibet amid fears Harry and Meghan would overshadow jubilee
Prince Harry memoir: Impact on Jubilee discussed by Nicholl
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Queen Elizabeth II, 95, has maintained Prince Harry, 36, Meghan Markle, 39, and their children are much-loved members of her family despite recent royal dramas. However, news Harry is writing a tell-all memoir due to be published next year has prompted speculation the Sussexes could be stopped from attending the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations next spring.
The Sussexes have not been back to the UK as a family unit since 2019 and the Queen is yet to meet their daughter Lilibet who was born last month on June 4.
While the Queen may have hoped to see her great-granddaughter as she celebrates 70 years on the throne, some royal commentators have suggested the Sussexes could be stopped from coming.
Harry and Meghan have been embroiled in a royal rift with the Firm ever since their bombshell interview with Oprah aired in March.
During the sitdown, they made a series of accusations against the monarchy, including one of racism.
While the Queen responded to the interview with a statement that said issues raised in it would be dealt with by the family in private, Harry has since gone on to fire further shots at the Firm and spoken publically about his struggles growing up as a royal.
News of Harry’s biography is likely to have worried Palace who may fear the book will contain claims they do not have a proper chance to respond to.
Responding to reports the Palace fear the Sussexes could overshadow the Queen’s jubilee, GB News presenter Dan Wootton said: “I’m heartened to see the Royal Family fighting back against Prince Harry after his crass decision to attempt to overshadow the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee next year with the publication of a bombshell autobiography.”
He claimed officials are considering blocking the couple from the event.
Mr Wootton added: “Officials are considering ways to uninvite the Duke and Duchess of Sussex from the official celebrations for the Queen so they don’t end up overshadowing the event.
“That makes a lot of sense to me.
“If this fame-hungry and selfish couple are going to continue to make life for the grieving Queen so difficult in her twilight years then the red carpet should no longer be rolled out for them for official events.”
In the announcement for his book Harry said: “I’m writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man, I have become.”
Harry and Meghan ‘must decide what they want’ as book risks truce [EXCLUSIVE]
Harry and Meghan: Could Queen stop them coming to Platinum Jubilee? [INSIGHT]
Prince Charles ‘hiding emotions’ after Harry book announcement [PICTURES]
He added: “I’ve worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story – the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned – I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.
“I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a first-hand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful.”
The Duke was back in the UK earlier this month to unveil a new statue of his mother Princess Diana at Kensington Palace.
He was reunited with his brother Prince William for the poignant event which was deemed to be a public reconciliation.
But news of Harry’s book is likely to have worsened tensions between the Sussexes and the royal household as the Firm braces itself for potential further attacks.
Reacting to news of Harry’s book royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: “The desperately serious aspect of this is that on the one hand, Harry and Meghan unashamedly trade on their royal status and on the other, assuming there is no reconciliation before the final draft, want to trash it yet again.
“Much of their Oprah interview was or appears to be an emotional truth rather than the truth.
“The Palace’s 61-word response was dignified but it was all they could do to toxic allegations which included racism and ignoring mental illness.”
The commentator added: “Enormous harm was done, especially among younger people and in the Commonwealth.
“A rapprochement whilst they behave like this and are as unpredictable as they currently are seems impossible.
“The Sussexes have launched several attacks on the Royal Family, but even they will find that there is a shelf-life to this.”
Source: Read Full Article