Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021

Prince William and Harry’s separate Diana response highlights ‘gulf between them’

Princess Diana: Expert discusses response from Harry and William

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Prince William and Harry did not release a united response to the findings of the Lord Dyson inquiry. The Lord Dyson inquiry, released on Thursday, found the BBC had covered up “deceitful behaviour” by journalist Martin Bashir to land his bombshell Panorama interview with Princess Diana. In response, a visibly emotional Prince William hit out at the BBC in a scathing statement while his brother, Prince Harry, took aim at a toxic media culture.

The Duke of Cambridge said he was “most saddened” Diana never learned she had been deceived.

Daily Mirror Royal Correspondent Russell Myers said William’s response was “absolutely unprecedented”.

However, he pointed out that the fact Harry and William released separate statements shows “the gulf that is between them sadly” amid a rift between the two brothers

Mr Myers said: “Unfortunately the brothers haven’t come together for these statements, but that shows you the gulf that is between them sadly.”

JUST IN: Ex-BBC presenter Simon McCoy stunned at Prince Harry’s latest claims

The royal correspondent praised William for speaking out “with such raw emotion and certainly very, very powerful words that make disturbing listening for the BBC”.

He continued: “He has absolutely savaged them as he said they played her fear, paranoia and isolation.

“The BBC will really struggle to pick up the pieces from this one. He said the Panorama programme has no legitimacy anymore and the interview should never be aired again.

“It’s absolutely astonishing words. Harry has been speaking about his resilient, brave and unquestionably honest mother.”

Princess Diana 'let down' by brother over Althorp says expert

Overnight, royal expert Camilla Tominey wrote in the Telegraph that William was “quietly winning the battle of the royal brothers”.

She wrote: “Unlike Harry, who has misinterpreted the Queen’s ‘never complain, never explain’ mantra as a gagging clause – William has used it as it was intended, as a protection order to ensure the lines between the professional and the personal do not become too blurred.

“William has resolved to serve others, rather than himself.

“Instead of growing up to resent the rules of the game, he has used them to his advantage, realising – as all the best royals do – that it is never really about ‘them’, but about ‘us’.”

DON’T MISS:

South China Sea: Boris sends warning to Beijing [VIDEO]
All Scots in UK should get a vote on their future – poll [POLL]
Royal LIVE: Charles angry he ‘must remain silent’ as Harry attacks [LIVE BLOG]

This comes amid ongoing fallout from the Lord Dyson inquiry, with ex-BBC director general Lord Hall resigning today as National Gallery chairman.

Lord Hall, who was director of news when Martin Bashir used deception to get the 1995 scoop, said his continued presence would be a “distraction”.

The inquiry described an internal probe led by Lord Hall in 1996 into what happened as “woefully ineffective”.

Diana’s brother Earl Spencer has asked the Met Police to investigate the BBC.

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts