Sunday, 20 Jun 2021

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s press only ‘part of’ what sparked their departure

Prince Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview assessed by Montagu

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey revealed their real reasons for leaving their senior roles in the Royal Family. Royal expert Julie Montagu said that although the British tabloid press played a role in their departure, the actions of the Royal Family were also instrumental in their decision to leave.

She told Channel 5 documentary ‘Harry and Meghan: Three Troubled Years’: “Many of us thought that the main reason that they moved away was because primarily, the British tabloid press and the scathing articles that had been written, in particular about Meghan.”

“We’re now learning that was just part of the reason, the other part was not being supported in the Royal Family. Now they’re out there really in one sense, to tell their story about how angry they are.”

In the two-hour long interview with the American talk-show host, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex criticised the British media and the monarchy.

The couple revealed that Meghan’s requests for mental health support had been ignored and the Duchess had been left feeling suicidal during her time as a working royal.

The interview also said that Archie had been refused a royal title and that the couple had been financially cut off, which risked their personal security.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle also told how an unnamed member of the Royal Family had raised concerns over the skin colour of their unborn child.

The Duke also touched on his estrangement from his brother and father, describing his relationship with Prince William as ‘space’ and noting that they were on ‘different paths’. He also admitted to feeling ‘really let down’ by Prince Charles’ handling of the situation.

Broadcasted on March 7, 2021, the ‘tell-all’ interview shocked the Royal Family and reportedly led to crisis meetings with senior royals.

Buckingham Palace issued the statement, ‘The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some collections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of the Royal Family.’

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they would be stepping back as senior working royals in January 2020, in a move that was dubbed ‘Megxit’ by the British press. Since then, they have relinquished their HRH titles and have strived to become financially independent.

They currently reside in Montecito, California with their 2-year-old son Archie Harrison. 

Meghan Markle is due to give birth to the couple’s daughter this summer. 

DON’T MISS 

Prince Harry UK return could be ‘nightmarish’ as he reunites with Prince William amid rift

Prince Harry shoots himself in foot with Apple TV+ as ‘narrative taken away’

Meghan Markle could give birth to second child ‘any day now’, says royal expert

They have gone on to sign deals with Netflix and Spotify that are estimated to be worth £100 million.

Prince Harry was recently interviewed by Oprah for a second time, for their new docuseries ‘The Me You Can’t See’ which aired on Apple TV+. The Duke spoke of the Royal Family’s “total neglect” for his and Meghan’s mental health and spoke about the media harassment he had endured his entire life.

The royal couple have frequently criticised the tabloid press and the media intrustion they have suffered over the last four years.

They have taken up a number of lawsuits to protect their privacy, with Meghan Markle recently winning a copyright claim over the Mail on Sunay

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts