Prince Harry admitted royals need mystery — hinting Duke may stay tight-lipped for Oprah
Meghan and Harry: Oprah was 'last straw' for Queen says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Harry and his wife Meghan Markle announced last week that their first interview since their dramatic royal exit was going to be aired on March 7, on the US TV network CBS, with talk show host Oprah Winfrey. This prompted widespread concern that they will lift the lid on an array of royal secrets as they discuss their eventful exit from the Firm with the TV legend. The Queen has also just officially stripped them of their royal patronages, in a move which allegedly surprised the couple, after the Sussexes confirmed they have no intention to return as working royals.
Before the monarch heard about the pair’s planned interview, she is believed to have sent Harry a personal email outlining her thoughts on their departure.
This email echoed the sentiments of her recent public statement — that the couple could not continue to live a life of public service since choosing to leave the Firm.
Harry and Meghan’s surprisingly terse reply that “service is universal” only fuelled worries that they would lash out at the Royal Family in their Oprah interview.
However, the Duke of Sussex explained in a 2017 interview that he was conscious that the Royal Family has to maintain some secrecy to remain successful.
It was put to Harry that, despite his ambitions to have a more “ordinary” life, if the Royal Family becomes too accessible, might it “take away its mystery”?
He told interviewer Angela Levin: “It’s a tricky balancing act.
“We don’t want to dilute the magic…
“The British public and the whole world need institutions like it.”
If this is still Harry’s psychology towards the monarchy, then it’s likely he will still follow royal protocol for the most part and not reveal the Firm’s secrets.
Speaking to Newsweek, he also claimed: “The monarchy is a force for good, and we want to carry on the positive atmosphere that the Queen has achieved for over 60 years, but we won’t be trying to fill her boots.”
However, it’s worth noting Harry also created an international storm when he gave some telling insight into life behind Palace walls during the same interview.
Discussing his shared role with Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, he said: “We are involved in modernising the British monarchy.
“We are not doing this for ourselves but for the greater good of the people…
“Is there any one of the Royal Family who wants to be King or Queen?
“I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time.”
It alarmed the public to think that all of the royals were reluctant to take up further responsibilities, despite their incredibly privileged lives.
Harry has often spoken out about his love and respect for his grandmother, but the recent spats since Megxit — the couple’s royal exit — have also sparked concerns that their relationship is not what it once was.
The royals reportedly found out about the Oprah interview through Twitter, before Buckingham Palace released an official statement.
It said: “The Duke and Duchess are no longer working members of the Royal Family and therefore any decisions they take with regard to media commitments are matters for them.
Harry’s perspective on Army altered forever after Afghanistan flight [INSIGHT]
Princess Anne’s brutal snub to Mark Phillips’ ‘marriage suggestion’ [EXPLAINED]
Sussex warning: Charles’ interview which left Philip furious [EXPOSED]
“As non-working members of the Royal Family, they are under no obligation to inform the Royal Household of such plans.”
Additionally, royal commentator Emily Andrews suggested that the Queen’s decision to strip the couple of their patronages was not prompted by news of the Oprah interview.
She tweeted: “The Queen’s decision was NOT influenced [by the interview] but she didn’t know and wasn’t very happy.
“Her letter was sent by email, mid-week, while Harry and Meghan were recording with Oprah at their Californian home.”
Even so, the Queen is said to have faith that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to honour royal protocol, despite these recent developments and claims that “nothing is off-limits” in the 90-minute interview.
However, it must be noted that a source claimed the interview was “re-edited” once it was revealed the Queen had stripped the couple of their patronages, suggesting a different chronology of events.
They explained: “They didn’t see it coming and spoke as they still had roles to play.
“Now, however, other than their titles, they are to have no role in royal life — a point producers know was not discussed when Winfrey spoke to them.
“Neither the Sussexes nor the TV crew saw the fallout of their interview leading to this.”
Still, the Duchess of Sussex allegedly sees the prime-time TV special as the “loudest way” for her to get her voice back.
CBS said Meghan will be discussing a range of topics with her friend, Oprah, including “stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood” as well as “how she is handling life under intense pressure”.
She and Oprah will then be joined by Harry, as they discuss their future plans together.
A source told The Sunday Times: “The drama of the last week means that Oprah’s tell-all show will be pure gold.
“It’s time to hide behind the sofa for the other royals.”
Source: Read Full Article