Piers Morgan hits back at trolls after Meghan Markle and Harry remembrance ‘PR’ backlash
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The Good Morning Britain host blasted the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for treating the day of mourning as a “PR opportunity” on Twitter. But Mr Morgan’s mentions were flooded by fans of the royals who thought he was being “unfair” on the couple. Mr Morgan has frequently criticised the Sussex royals since stepping down from full time royal duties earlier this year.
On social media, Mr Morgan was taken to task by users who criticised him for his comments on the Sussexes.
After being told to “leave them alone” by a Twitter user, Mr Morgan added: “If they wanted to be’ ‘left alone’, they wouldn’t do PR stunts every day to get media attention.
When another user questioned whether he would praise Prince William and Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, if they posted similar photos, the GMB host said: “Yes, they do their duty. The Sussexes don’t.”
Originally, Mr Morgan called photos of the couples commemorating Remembrance Day as “just outrageous”, and adding: “Treating Remembrance Sunday like a PR opportunity, & trying to steal headlines from the real royals doing their duty back home.”
Other users mentioned how Harry had served in Afghanistan for 10 years, and pointed out the day might be more personal to him.
One post said: “That’s unfair Piers. He was denied the chance to have a wreath at the Cenotaph and did the next best thing.”
The post referenced reports from the Sunday Times, which claimed the Duke’s request to have a wreath laid at the Cenotaph in his absences was rejected because Harry and Meghan are no longer working royals.
Another user said: “Sorry but didn’t the queen have a photo taken too? You lot really just want to drag these two down and make it into something it’s not!“
It came after Meghan and Harry visited the Los Angeles National Ceremony yesterday to pay their respects on Remembrance Day.
The couple laid flowers from their Montecito home at the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers, one from the Royal Australian Air Force and one from the Royal Canadian Artillery.
Harry also laid a wreath next to a memorial with the inscription: “In Memory of the Men Who Offered Their Lives in Defense of Their Country.”
He also wrote a touching message where he said: “To all of those who have served, and are serving. Thank you.”
A spokesman for the Sussexes said the personal service was “important” to them.
He added: “It was important to the Duke and Duchess to be able to personally recognise Remembrance in their own way, to pay tribute to those who have served and to those who gave their lives.
“The couple laid flowers that the Duchess picked from their garden at the gravesites of two Commonwealth soldiers, one who had served in the Royal Australian Air Force and one from the Royal Canadian Artillery.”
Harry previously said on the Declassified podcast that Remembrance Day is “a moment for respect and for hope”, and added it was a “profound act of honour”.
Mr Morgan has led calls for the Sussexes’ royal titles to be revoked after they stepped down from duties in March, and criticised them for their role during the coronavirus pandemic.
In an interview with Express.co.uk, he said: “I think the way the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have conducted themselves during the pandemic has been starkly at odds with the Sussexes, and to their great credit.
“They understand what to do. I thought Harry understood that but he has got no interest in duty.
“He has been completely bamboozled in a way that we saw the last time American lady entered the Royal Family.”
Source: Read Full Article