Tuesday, 27 Jul 2021

Pensioner’s torment at ‘not being washed for days’ at care home

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Joseph Ainsworth, 83, died in May after suffering a second stroke in two years. He was admitted to Rowan Garth Nursing Home in Anfield, Liverpool on March 20 last year – three days before the lockdown.

They never dressed him properly, or cleaned him properly. He had the same t-shirt on for three days with food on it

Lynne Carville, Joseph Ainsworth’s daughter

During lockdown though, it’s claimed the great grandad-of-one was left for hours in his room with the door shut, sometimes unwashed, sometimes naked from the waist down, and sometimes dehydrated and shouting for a nurse.

His furious daughter Lynne Carville told Liverpool Echo: “My dad was my mum’s carer, he was very well and he was a very fit man up until the day he had his stroke.

“But even after that he was very much still there, he was compos mentis.

“Because of the stroke he could only move one side of his body, but they kept putting the table with his water on the paralysed side so when we saw him he was completely parched.

“They never dressed him properly, or cleaned him properly. He had the same t-shirt on for three days with food on it.

“It sounds strange but after he passed away there was a huge sense of relief that he wasn’t being tortured every second of the day.”

Industry watchdog Care Quality Commission (CQC) slammed the care home this week after an inspection revealed chaotic and mismanaged operation, with a “lack of understanding at all levels about roles and responsibilities”.

CQC head of adult social care inspection, Hayley Moore, said: “This sort of care is absolutely unacceptable, and no person should ever have to live like this.”

And Lynne agrees with the damning findings.

She added: “From lockdown when they knew nobody was able to come in it just went from bad to worse. They were horrible to us.

“We had to stand outside the window and talk to him and some days we could see he had not had his teeth cleaned for days, there was so much white stuff on his teeth.

“But he would say to me ‘don’t explain, don’t complain’.”

Joseph, who had three grandchildren and two children, died at the care home days after the second stroke. The retired factory worker, from Anfield, Liverpool, lost a large amount of weight in a short space of time.

He was just six stone when he died.

One of his grandkids, Jade Ainsworth, said: “One time when we were visiting him he was just shouting ‘nurse’, ‘nurse’ for around 20 minutes but no-one came.

“I went to tell the front desk and they just said ‘we’re busy’.

“It was inhumane, it was just watching someone you love deteriorate. Some days he would not have anything [clothing] on him.

“We know he was in a bad situation, he could not walk and we were not in a position to bring him home as my nan was not strong enough to look after him – we were sort of stuck.”

The facility is run by Bloomcare, part of Wellington Healthcare (Ardern). Bloomcare did not reply to a request to comment on Joseph’s treatment.

The firm previously gave a statement in response to the damning CQC inspection saying: “We acknowledge there were areas where we fell short of the high standards our residents and relatives rightfully expect and deserve, and we took immediate action and have a comprehensive action plan in place to address this.”

Liverpool Council has also said its adult social care team is reviewing each resident at Rowan Garth “to ensure their needs are being adequately met”.

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts