Mum’s warning after daughter died 'when she ate toilet cleaning capsule'
The mother of a toddler who is believed to have died after ingesting a Toilet Duck capsule has issued a warning to parents.
Arietta-Grace Barnett, two, was rushed to hospital in June last year after she began vomiting a ‘bright pink’ liquid. She was discharged four days later after her temperature fell and her sickness faded.
But a week later she started bleeding, and died in hospital. An inquest ruled the death in July 2019 as accidental, with a surgeon stating that the detergent may have caused fatal injuries.
The two-year-old was described as ‘very funny’ and ‘really cheeky’ by her devastated family, who called their loss ‘catastrophic’.
Mum Lucy Cook, from Sarisbury Green, Hampshire, has called on other mums and dads to ‘pause’ before buying certain cleaning products and consider the dangers.
She said: ‘While we welcome the further investigations the coroner is doing into the Toilet Duck product, we would urge parents to think very carefully before buying these and products similar to them.
‘While we understand the link between them and Arietta-Grace’s death is yet to be definitively proven, we feel the evidence currently available is enough to give parents pause before buying these types of products.
‘If your child does manage to get hold of a product such as this to make the hospital staff aware of Arietta-Grace so they are less likely to confuse any symptoms your child may present with as an infection as happened in Arietta-Grace’s case.’
It was said at the inquest that, if the chemical had caused significant injuries to Arietta-Grace, it was the ‘first time it has happened in the world’.
But the link was not proven and the coroner called for further investigation.
A spokeswoman for SC Johnson, which makes the toilet cleaning product, said: ‘This is heartbreaking, and our thoughts are with the family.
‘As it remains unclear exactly what caused this tragedy, we are unable to provide further comment at this time.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article