Wednesday, 21 Oct 2020

Man who died at lockdown rave named as 'gentle giant' Joe Robinson

A young man who died following an illegal rave in Greater Manchester has been named locally as Joe Robinson.

The 20-year-old passed away on June 14, after attending a gathering at Daisy Nook Country Park in Oldham, Manchester.

Mr Robinson died after he collapsed while leaving the rave, which was attended by around 2,000 people.

Police say he died from a suspected drug overdose, however, further tests are being carried out to determine whether or not his death was due to natural causes.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by those close to Joe’s family, and has already raised over £6,000 towards his funeral costs.

Paying tribute, his friends and family said: ‘Joe was a loved son, brother and friend and was adored by all.

‘Joe treated everyone as family and would do anything for anyone. The room lit up when he entered and smiles were brought to everyone’s face.

‘He simply didn’t have a bad bone in his body. Joe was the gentle giant. Rest in peace Joe, Fly High.’

The event at Daisy Nook Park was one of two illegal raves which took place on the weekend of June 13 to June 14, in Greater Manchester.

Another 4,000 people are thought to have attended an event at a industrial site in Carrington, Trafford.

Greater Manchester Police say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Robinson’s death. But further tests are needed to determine exactly how he died.

A file on the case has been sent to Manchester South Coroner’s Court in Stockport.

A spokesperson for the Coroner’s Office said: ‘At this time I can confirm we have received notification and the Coroner is undertaking initial enquiries.’

No date has yet been fixed for an opening of the inquest as tests are being carried out to establish whether or not the cause of death was due to natural causes.

If it was due to natural causes, there will be no inquest. If a toxicology report is required it could take several months before a definitive cause of death is established.

On Saturday, a 22-year-old man was arrested in connection with the rave held at Daisy Nook Country Park.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of criminal damage and public nuisance.

The arrest is understood to have followed information from the public after a series of appeals.

It is the first arrest made in connection with the Oldham gathering.

Police chiefs, however, stressed the investigation would continue.

On Twitter, chief superintendent Chris Allsop said: ‘Man arrested today (for public nuisance/criminal damage) in relation to the illegal rave held at Daisy Nook in Oldham last weekend.

‘The investigation continues and we will work hard to identify anyone involved in the organisation of illegal raves which put people at risk.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts