Inside flat where terrorist built bomb before explosion outside UK hospital
Photos have been released by investigators who went inside the flat of a terrorist where he built a bomb. The terrorist used the bomb in an attack on a maternity hospital, but was the only one who died in the incident.
Yesterday, counter terror police released the findings of “Operation Itonia” – a two year probe into the attack on Liverpool Women’s Hospital which took place on November 14, 2021.
The terrorist, Emad Al Swealmeen, had been working as a pizza chef when he attempted the horrendous assault on innocent people in Liverpool’s inner city area in Toxteth.
It is thought that he was taking his frustration out at being denied asylum in the UK, according to the Daily Mirror.
CCTV had shown 32-year-old Al Swealmeen arriving at the hospital at 10.55am in the back of a Delta Taxi driven by David Perry.
READ MORE: It’s a miracle I’m alive says Liverpool cabbie who fled terror bomb[INSIGHT]
Upon coming to a stop, the cab suddenly exploded and metal balls from within struck the front of the hospital building.
Luckily, no one from the public was hurt, and driver Perry stumbled away, albeit with serious injuries.
Al Swealmeen died in the blast.
A report by Detective Superintendent Andy Meeks explained the bomb was built from components sourced online and constructed at Al Swealmeen’s private flat near Sefton Park, Liverpool.
He was deemed to be the sole occupier of the property.
Among their discoveries in the flat were a mobile phone which had instructions on how to make bombs, as well as mixing bowls and bags of explosive mixture.
Another address which Al Swealmeen did share with other asylum claimants was found to contain unfinished improvised firearms, as well as mobile phones wiped of their content.
Police believed Al Swealmeen had taken precautions to conceal his plans, and that his housemates were not aware of the hospital bombing plot.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Sunak’s home council expanding 20mph zones but PM says it’s ‘attack on drivers[CARS]
Lee Rigby’s son smashes charity target by five times amount – help boost it[CHARITY]
The once-thriving UK seaside town being ‘ruined by holiday home’s left empty[TRAVEL]
DS Meeks said it appeared the homemade device “only partially detonated”, saying bits of unexploded material were found at the blast scene.
Meeks also thought the bomb had “ignited prematurely”, but said there was no direct evidence of Al Swealmeen’s “precise plan or motive”.
Counter terrorism police believe Al Swealmeen might have been motivated by a “grievance against the British state” for refusing to grant him asylum status.
He also had serious mental health issues – he was sectioned in February 2015 after running around with a knife and trying to jump over a motorway fly-over, and had also nearly overdosed a few months after that.
Al Swealmeen arrived in the UK on a holiday visa from Abu Dhabi, claiming he wanted to watch filming of Britain’s Got Talent. But just days into his UK stint he falsely claimed asylum as a supposed Syrian refugee. This was rejected – as were two further appeals – and he allegedly converted to Christianity, although DS Meeks discovered a Quran and prayer mat at his house following the attack.
DS Meeks was clear though that there was “no evidence” of extremism, and that Al Swealmeen “ill mental health” had started before his time in the UK and was exacerbated by the asylum claim rejection and “absence of protective factors”, like family.
Meeks concluded that “we will never truly know” why Al Swealmeen did what he did, and that “all the indications are that [he] acted alone”.
Source: Read Full Article