Wednesday, 21 Oct 2020

Charles and Camilla hint they are Game of Thrones fans during surprise N.Ireland visit

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Prince Charles and Camilla looked in high spirits as they landed in Belfast to meet the local community. While the focus of their visit was to thank those NHS frontlines who continue to battle the coronavirus pandemic, the Duchess and the Prince of Wales also had the chance to meet local entrepreneurs and artists. 

The couple were pictured while local artist Bob Johnson of Bob’s Baskets showed them a throne made for the party held to mark the end of filming HBO’s TV show Game of Thrones. 

The pair weren’t photographed sitting on the fake throne, but were spotted looking amused at the artwork. 

Charles and Camilla aren’t the only members of the Royal Family to have seen a replica of the iconic throne from the series. 

During a visit to Northern Ireland in June 2014, where much of the seven-season show was filmed, the Queen and Prince Philip met the cast and creators of the popular series.  

The royal couple were also shown the Iron Throne – but the Queen did not sit on it as she is reportedly barred to touch thrones of foreign countries, even fictional ones. 

More recently it had been revealed Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, are fans of the show. 

When they met Tom Wlaschiha, who plays Jaqen H’ghar in the cult show, during their tour to Germany, the pair reportedly tried to get some spoiler from the actor. 

He said: “They said they really liked Game of Thrones and have watched every series. 

“They wanted spoilers but I said I couldn’t tell them. I’m surprised they have time to watch such a long running series.”

During their day of engagements in Belfast, Charles and Camilla also met nurses and midwives. 

Charles and Camilla were moved by their stories and wholeheartedly thanked them for completing their training earlier to join NHS staff in its response to the global health emergency. 

This engagement comes as Northern Ireland is witnessing, much like the rest of the UK, a resurgence in coronavirus cases.

On September 29, Northern Ireland reporter 320 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of people tested positive to 11,629.

The death toll remained at 578. 

Belfast alone has counted 422 cases over the past seven days, out of a total of 11,629 in the nation.

Northern Ireland hospitals count 59 patients with coronavirus and eight patients in intensive care units. 

Northern Ireland’s Chief Scientific Officer, Professor Ian Young, warned the current rate of increase in infection is seeing cases doubling every nine to 10 days. 

This means, he warned, the nation could see as many as 1000 cases a day in a month’s time.

The worrying rise in cases have brought First Minister Arlene Foster to issue an 11pm curfew for the local hospitality sector.

Under this new regulation, pubs, restaurants, cafes and hotel bars are required to stop serving alcohol after 10.30 and ask customers to leave by 11pm. 

During their day in Belfast, Prince Charles and Camilla also threw their support behind the tourism and culture sector, badly affected by the pandemic, social distancing measures and the lockdown.   

The Prince of Wales has experienced first-hand the effects of coronavirus after testing positive for COVID-19 in mid-March. 

Having found out he was suffering from a mild case of coronavirus while staying at his Scottish home in Birkhall, the prince had to self-isolate there for seven days. 

Camilla, who tested negative, had to quarantine for 14 days to make sure she would not develop symptoms after being in contact with the Prince of Wales. 

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts