Monday, 21 Sep 2020

Birmingham stabbings: CCTV of suspect released after attacks leave one dead and seven injured

Police investigating a series of stabbings in Birmingham – one of them fatal – say they have had a “strong response” after releasing CCTV footage of a suspect.

The video shows a man wearing a baseball cap and a dark hoodie with white drawstrings, dark trousers and shoes.

West Midlands Police tweeted that detectives are “following up several new lines of enquiry”.

A team is working through the night and anyone with information is urged to call a hotline on 0800 056 0944.

Chief Superintendent Steve Graham said witnesses had been interviewed to “ensure we release the best possible video and image of the man we want to speak to”.

The force said extra officers had “flooded the city centre”, adding that “four scenes have been held throughout the day and forensic experts have examined each area”.

Detectives said there was “no suggestion” the attacks were linked to terrorism.

A 23-year-old man suffered fatal injuries, police said, while a 19-year-old man and a woman, 32, had critical injuries.

Another five people, aged between 23 and 33, were taken to hospital after also being hurt. Two have been discharged so far.

Mr Graham said: “At this stage we believe that the attacks were random and we have no indication of a motive.

“I would urge people to remain vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to us.”

Anyone who recognises the man is advised not to approach him, and to call 999 immediately.

Earlier, police said they believed the stabbings were linked.

A man who witnessed one of the assaults said he saw the attacker stab a woman “several times” in the neck.

Bar manager David Nash said he came within 10 metres of a hooded suspect near one of the scenes in Hurst Street.

He explained: “I was on the street around 2.20am and we heard somebody shout down the street ‘stop him, he’s just stabbed somebody’.”

Mr Nash said the person was “calm” and walking unhurriedly, until someone shouted an alarm.

Police said the first call was to Constitution Hill, just after 12.30am on Sunday, where a man suffered a superficial injury.

Twenty minutes later they were called to Livery Street, where a 19-year-old man was critically injured and a woman was injured too.

At 1.50am they were called to Irving Street, where, in addition to the fatality, another man suffered serious injuries.

At 2am, officers were called to Hurst Street, where a 32-year-old woman was seriously injured and two men received lesser injuries.

Boris Johnson thanked the emergency services and said his thoughts were with anyone affected by the “terrible incident”, while Home Secretary Priti Patel said emergency services were “working hard to find whoever is responsible and bring them to justice”.

Source: Read Full Article

Related Posts